Resolved:

Yogurt Flavors: Chocolate Decadence, World Class Vanilla, Chocolate Raspberry, Butter Brickle, Boysenberry, and Lemon.

Today, we have a special on the breads. Buy any five bread products (bagels, pitas, English Muffins, tortillas, or taco shells) and get the 6th one for free.

Tomorrow, we will announce the winners for the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. Don't forget to check!


In a rare move, I woke up at 6 AM today and actually decided to stay awake thereafter. I had a movie that I needed to watch so that I could return it to Netflix. Once breakfast was cooked, I settled in to watch Rocket Science. This was a movie that I had seen a preview for last year and was interested in seeing. I am glad to say that it is quite the independent film charmer.

It might sound odd, but I was originally drawn to this film because the background story revolved around debate. (I debated Lincoln-Douglas debate for three years in high school.) I was certainly happy to see that Rocket Science does a wonderful job of viewing the world of high school policy debate, aka cross-examination. It was no surprise to find out that the director, Jeffery Blitz, was a former high school debater.

Involving an odd cast of characters, some of whom are shy and searching for a voice while others are brash and achievement driven, the story captures the awkwardness of high school and the painfulness involved in growing up. The lead character, Hal Hefner, is a stutterer who is isolated at his school and at home. When he is asked to join the high school debate team by the top debater, Ginny Ryerson, he begins his journey towards finding his voice.

At times, the movie itself is awkward and painful to watch. I believe that this enhances the realness of the film and adds to the depth of the protagonist. The movie is well paced, but is by no means action oriented. This is a character driven film, and the development of the lead role is what leads to moments that are, at times, uncomfortable to watch. Nevertheless, the film has a heart to it as it treats the characters as real people rather than stereotypes.

If you are looking for a good movie to watch on the weekend, then I would recommend Rocket Science. This film is certainly not going to be for everyone. Let me know if you like it or not. Either way, I think it is a chance worth taking. Movie Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5.

Puzzler: These TV show names were translated by computer to another language, then back into English, with surprising results. What were the original TV show names?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helping Customers with Carbs Since 1989

Working to Serve You Through Difficult Times

Only the Kitchen