Wednesdays -The Malcolm in the Middle of the Week

Today's Yogurt Flavors
Chocolate Decadence, World Class Vanilla, Butter Brickle,Pistachio, Marshmallow, and French Vanilla


Today's Special
Free small for UTD Staff and Students. Just show us your ID.

Wednesdays are kind like the middle child. They don't have the bad rap of Mondays nor the glee of Fridays. I kind of feel sorry for Wednesdays and not because I was born on a Wednesday.It was not my favorite day because it was the second of three days of Hebrew school for the week. Mrs. Glatzer was my teacher. She was probably 5 feet tall, but wielded the power of 6 foot version of an imposing, strict, nun in what my Catholic friends recall from their days in Catholic school. I saw Mrs. Glatzer again when I was 30 and she was shorter than me and was a nice lady. She scared me to death in Hebrew school.

Today in History
February 18, 2009
1861 Confederate President Jefferson Davis inaugurated at Montgomery Ala
1972 Shunryu Suzuki Roshi, founder (SF Zen Center), « ashes buried

Now these two show a disparity. Jefferson Davis becomes president of a divided nation. Shunryu Suzuki Roshi a leader and teacher of Zen Buddhism who embodies the qualities of harmlessness, unity, and peaceful giving.

Births
1859 Sholem Aleichem, [Solomon Rabinowitz], author (Fiddler on the Roof)
1894 Andres Segovia, guitarist, Linares, Spain
1920 Jack Palance, [Walter Palanuik], Lattimer Pa, actor (City Slickers)
1933 Yoko Ono Lennon, [Mrs John Lennon], Tokyo Japan, vocalist(?)
1958 Peter Koech, Kiliburani Kenya, 3K steeplechaser (Olympic-silver-1988)

I actually had the opportunity to see Andres Segovia when he was 80 years. It was early in dating my husband. He walked slowly on stage hunched over. He looked so feeble until his fingers wrapped around the frets and his right hand began stroking the strings. He transformed the entire stage into a bold concert that sounded like multiple guitarists. He was amazing. When he finished, he guardedly stood up and slowly exited the stage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helping Customers with Carbs Since 1989

Working to Serve You Through Difficult Times

Only the Kitchen